Engineering Access Cards

The doors of the three Engineering buildings are unlocked during normal business hours.

  • Engineering Office Wing (EOW)
  • Engineering Lab Wing (ELW)
  • Engineering Computer Science building (ECS)

There are also a number of undergraduate labs in ELW and ECS that are also unlocked during business hours for drop-in access.

Outside of business hours, building and lab access for ELW and ECS are controlled by an electronic card key.

  • Students majoring in Engineering or Computer Science can purchase a card for off hour access to the building and undergraduate labs during their degree program.
  • Non Engineering or Computer Science students taking service courses (i.e. CSC 100 or 105) should consider whether they will require an access card, as the cards will only function during the semester in which they are enrolled in the service course, and are non-refundable.

How do I get an access card

Engineering access cards are available for purchase at the UVic Book Store.

Instructions for activating your access card are included with the the card.

How do I activate my Engineering access card

Navigate to the Engineering Access Card Activation page.

Note: Card control system is updated each morning on business days and your card will work next business day.

Can I transfer my Engineering access card?


Please email with the following information:

  • Your NetLink ID and V number.
  • The 5 digit code on the top right of the card.
  • Who's card it was.
  • Who the card should be transfered to.

What rooms will I get access to?

Access is based on your course enrolment.

Additional access may be granted by course instructors who have identified a need for this additional access.

Note: Your card will not open all doors.

Problems with your Engineering access card

Please email if you have any problems or issues activating your card or using your card for building or room access.

Card Expiry

Engineering access cards are expired at regular intervals.

Graduate cards should work until program completion.

Undergraduate cards work only in the term when your classes are in session. When next academic session happens your existing card should reactivate with permissions for that term based on your course enrollment. When you are no longer enrolled in any courses your card access will be deprovisioned.